Is it Okay for Christians to Be Anxious to Go Back to School?

0

Is it Okay for Christians to Be Anxious to Go Back to School?


The question was asked by a Christian student who had been struggling with anxiety about going back to school after summer break. He shared his struggle with me and I encouraged him to seek help from his pastor and/or counselor if he felt he needed some extra encouragement.

 I then asked him what he thought about going back to school. He said he didn't know how he would feel about it. I told him that we should not let our anxieties control us, but rather we should trust God's plan for our lives. I reminded him that Jesus himself went back to school after being tempted in the wilderness (Luke 4).

 He replied that he did not want to go back to school because he was afraid of failing. I explained to him that even though he may fail at times, he could still learn something valuable from each experience. I suggested that he ask God to give him wisdom and discernment to make good decisions. I also encouraged him to pray daily for guidance and direction.

 I told him that he could always take time off from school if he felt overwhelmed. He agreed that taking a semester off might be helpful. I told him that he could also talk to his parents about their concerns. I assured him that they were concerned about him and wanted to do whatever they could to help him succeed.

 I told him to remember that the Bible says, "God disciplines those whom he loves." If he truly loved God, he would obey Him no matter what. I reminded him that God does not discipline us out of anger, but rather He disciplines us to build His character. I told him that God wants to use him to accomplish great things in the kingdom of heaven.
 I told him not to worry about whether or not he would pass his classes. I reminded him that even though he might have trouble passing certain classes, he could always study hard and get good grades in others. I told him that if he took the time to study, he would find that he learned much more than he ever imagined.

 I told him he could always take a semester off if he needed to. I reminded him that he could always return to school later if he decided to pursue a different career path. I told him that although he may not feel ready to go back to school right now, he could always change his mind later.
 I told him I believed that God was using him to teach me many lessons. I thanked him for sharing his story with me and wished him well.





- Dr. Frank Peretti
 1. What do we mean by anxious? We don't mean nervousness, but rather anxiety. Anxiety is a feeling of uneasiness about something. You might feel anxious if you were asked to take the SAT or GRE exam. You may not even realize it until after you've taken the test and learned that you got a lower score than you wanted. But you would certainly know you felt some degree of anxiety.

 Anxiety is normal. We're born with anxiety. In fact, our bodies have developed ways to help us deal with fear. Our heart rate goes up before we face danger; our blood pressure rises. These responses are meant to prepare us to fight or flee. When we encounter a threat, these defenses keep us safe.

 But sometimes we get over-anxious about things. Instead of letting the adrenaline flow, we worry and obsess. And instead of feeling calm, we become jittery.

 The Bible says that God has given us everything we need for life and godliness (see 2 Timothy 2:22). He wants us to live without anxiety. So what can we learn from Paul's words here? We should try to control our feelings of anxiety in order to avoid becoming agitated or nervous.

 But how does this work practically? How do I stop being anxious? Here are three helpful tips:
 First, remember that God understands. When we let go of our anxieties, we actually open ourselves up to his understanding. That means we no longer have to worry about whether he'll forgive us or accept us when we fail. He already knows the truth about who we are. He already knows we deserve forgiveness and acceptance.

 Second, remember that God cares. When we let our anxieties go, we give people around us room to move forward freely. Anxiety makes it hard for others to trust us. If God sees our hearts, he sees their potential and purpose. He sees them as gifts intended for good use. No matter what happens, he gives us comfort.

 Finally, remember that Jesus loves us. We can rest assured that he is working out details in our lives today, just as he did for Peter at the Transfiguration. He is concerned about our weaknesses and failures. He knows where we've been, and he wants to bring us home.

 When we let go of our fears, we find peace. We experience the joyous freedom that comes from living free from anxiety.




Umn ministry

Post a Comment

0Comments

Please Select Embedded Mode To show the Comment System.*